I am currently an Assistant Professor at Mälardalen University and Senior Researcher at RISE SICS Västerås. I received my Ph.D. degree in Informatics from the Technical University of Valencia in 2016. My research interests include wireless networks, network simulation, vehicular ad-hoc networks, and MAC layer protocols. I have published my research works in international journals and conferences, such as International Journal of Ad Hoc and Ubiquitous Computing (IJAHUC), Journal of IETE Technical Review, IEEE PIMRC 2016, IEEE VTC2015-Fall, IEEE CCNC 2015. I was a visiting researcher at University of Bologna in Italy, Halmstad University in Sweden, and the National Institute of Informatics (NII) in Japan.
- Invited as TPC member for CAVS Symposium, 27 August 2018, Chicago, USA (New)
- Invited as TPC member for Wireless Technologies for Connected and Autonomous Vehicles special session in IEEE PIMRC 2018, 9-12 September 2018, Bologna, Italy (New)
- Invited to Dagstuhl Seminar on Inter-Vehicular Communication Towards Cooperative Driving seminar, Schloss Dagstuhl, Wadern, Germany, 13-16 May 2018 (New)
- Invited as Keynote speaker for International Conference on Industrial Internet of Things and Smart Manufacturing (IoTsm), which will be held at Imperial College London, United Kingdom, 5-6 September 2018 (New)
- Guest lecture on "Wireless Communication for Connected Vehicles" in the "Autonomous Vehicles" course at MDH, December 19, 2017
- Guest editor in Special Issue on "Towards 5G and beyond for the Internet of UAVs, Vehicles, Smartphones, Sensors and Smart Objects" in Journal of Network and Computer Applications (JNCA).
Services to the Research Community
- General Co-chair of the TC-CPS 2018 Workshop.
- Part of the Technical Program Committee in VTC 2018-Fall, VENITS 2016-2017 workshop.
- Reviewer of IEEE Wireless Communications Magazine, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communication (JSAC), IEEE Vehicular Technology Magazine, IEEE Communication Letter, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks, Journal of Network and Computer Applications, Ad Hoc Networks, Sensors Journal, IEEE GLOBECOM, ICC, PIMRC, LCN, and VTC, among others.
- Young Professionals Representative for IEEE Vehicular Technology Society
- Reliance (Resilient and Scalable Slicing over Multiple Domains), Role: 5G Specialist, Abstract: RELIANCE extends the 5G network architecture with new functionalities needed for multiservice and multi-domain management, with the related abstractions, interfaces, and mechanisms to support needed resilience, security, and scalability.
Duration: December 2018– December 2020, Partners: 19 partners from 6 countries, including Sweden, Spain, Finland, Turkey, France, and Norway.
NOTE: to see other current projects, please go to the projects tab.
- SafePos 2 (Safety positioning for first responders and remote controlled fire and rescue vehicles in mines), Role: Internal Project Manager, Abstract: SafePos 2 is a national funded project that aims to increase the possibility for positioning and connectivity for use in manual or remote controlled fire and rescue operations in complex underground structures. Duration: September 2016–September 2018.
- FRONT (Future Railway Communication Network), Role: Project Manager, Abstract: FRONT project is intended to evaluate and plan for a future communication platform that supports network abstractions to the applications. Duration: January 2016–December 2016.
- Walkie-Talkie, National Research Foundation, Role: Network Expert. Duration: January 2012–December 2014.
- ACDC (Autonomous Cooperative Driving: Communication issues), National Research Foundation, Volvo, Scania, Role: External Network Expert, Abstract: the goal of the project was to support autonomous cooperative driving with dependable wireless real-time communications. Duration: January 2014–December 2016.
- Smart@CarPhone (Toward Seamless Smartphone and Vehicle Integration to Connect Drivers with Sensors and the Environment in a Holistic Service-Oriented Architecture), Role: Communication Technologies Expert, Abstract: The overall objective the project is to achieve a seamless integration between vehicles and smartphones devices, allowing to sense data from inside the vehicle and the outside environment, and build upon that data to provide the end user with a full set of ITS mobility solutions. Duration: May 2015–May 2018.
- Yujue Wang, KTH, Data Management for the manufacturing industry, Started February 2019
- Mathias Tengstrom, Chalmers, Design a Hybrid Communication System for Vehicular Applications, Started April 2019
- Aman Gulia, KTH, Vehicle-to-Vehicle (V2V) Services Supported by LTE-Based Systems and 5G, Started January 2019
- Elvin Eziama, Windsor University, Canada, Malicious Node Detection on Vehicular Ad-Hoc Network Using Machine Learning and Deep Learning
- Tina Samizadeh, Islamic Azad University, Iran, Multi-level Task Scheduling Based on Queueing Theory in Fog Computing Systems
- Zijie Liang, KTH, Evaluation of decentralized Congestion Control Methods for Multi-Platooning application, Presented March 2019, Link:http://www.diva-portal.se/smash/get/diva2:1299691/FULLTEXT01.pdf
- Chumeng Bai, KTH, Evaluation of decentralized Congestion Control Methods for Multi-Platooning application, Presented August 2018, Link: http://kth.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:1236698/FULLTEXT01.pdf
- Shanmu Jr Thukaram, IMT, Vehicular Fog Networks, Presented September 2018
His research interests include wireless networks, network simulation, vehicular ad-hoc networks, MAC layer protocols security & privacy, Cloud, and Fog.
[Show all publications]
[Google Scholar author page] Latest publications:
Cost-Aware Task Scheduling in Fog-Cloud Environment
(Jul 2020) Zeinab Bakhshi Valojerdi, Ali Balador, Tina Samizadeh Nikoui
, Amir Masoud Rahmani
A Fault-Tolerant Controller Manager for Platooning Simulation
(Jan 2020) Shahriar Hasan, Muhammed Abdullah Al Ahad
, Irfan Sljivo, Ali Balador, Svetlana Girs, Elena Lisova The 8th IEEE International Conference on Connected Vehicles and Expo (ICCVE 19)
Towards Emergency Braking as a Fail-Safe State in Platooning: A Simulative Approach
(Nov 2019) Shahriar Hasan, Ali Balador, Svetlana Girs, Elisabeth Uhlemann 2019 IEEE 90th Vehicular Technology Conference: VTC2019-Fall (VTCW 19)
An Overview on Security and Privacy Challenges and Their Solutions in Fog-Based Vehicular Application
(Sep 2019) Zeinab Bakhshi Valojerdi, Ali Balador
Reliable Communication Performance for Energy Harvesting Wireless Sensor Networks
(Apr 2019) Van Nhan Vo
, Tran Hung, Elisabeth Uhlemann, Quach Xuan Truong
, Chakchai So-In
, Ali Balador IEEE 89th Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC2019-Spring)
Practical 3-D Beam Pattern Based Channel Modeling for Multi-Polarized Massive MIMO Systems
(Apr 2018) Saeid Aghaeinezhadfirouzja
, Hiu Liu
, Ali Balador Sensors Journal (Sensors)
MSc theses supervised (or examined):