He completed his PhD in Electrical and Computer Engineering at University of Porto, Portugal. His PhD Thesis was on "Reliable Mobility Support in Low-Power Wireless Networks" under supervision of Prof. Mário Alves. Hossein was researcher at CISTER/INESC-TEC during his PhD. He received his Master degree on Communication Network Engineering from University Putra Malaysia. The Master Thesis was on "An Energy Efficient MAC Layer Design for Wireless Sensor Networks". He also worked three years in industry as a network engineer after finishing Bachelor degree on Electrical and Electronics Engineering from University of Guilan in Iran.
I am available to supervise visiting researchers and PhD students to perform their internship within the scope of sensor networks, wireless communication, IoT, 5G, CPS, SDN and network virtualization.
- Program committee (selected list): WFCS'16, ETFA'16, IOTBD'16, IOTDB'17, IOTDB'18, IOTDB'19, MobiApps'16, DPNoC'16, SNCNW'16, COMPSAC'17, COMPSAC'18, COMPSAC'19, RTCSA'17, RTCSA'18, GLOBECOM'19, PIMRC'19, MENACOMM'19, 3ICT'19, EFIOT'19, Sensornet'20.
- Session chair: HealthyIoT 2015 and SCNNW Workshop 2016.
- Local chair: HealthyIoT 2016.
- Publicity chair: HealthyIoT 2016.
- Session chair: COMPSAC 2017 and HealthyIoT 2017.
- Co-chair at TC-CPS 2018, TC-CPS 2019, Special Session on ADVANCES IN TIME-SENSITIVE COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGIES at PDP 2020.
- Special session co-chair: CAMA 2018.
- Guest editor of MDPI Sensors special issue on "Wireless Networks for Real Time Communication".
- TPC member at the 9th International Conference on Sensor Networks (SENSORNETS 2020).
- Giving a lectute on "Wireless Communication in Industrial Internet of Things" at the "Practical real-time control and embedded dynamic simulations" course at Mälardalen University (course code: FOES003).
- TPC member at the 1st International Workshop on: Edge, Fog, and Cloud Computing for the Internet of Things (EFIOT) in conjunction with the 16th EAI International Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Systems: Computing, Networking and Services (MobiQuitous 2019).
- TPC member at ICFEC 2020: 4th IEEE International Conference on Fog and Edge Computing (ICFEC 2020).
- Paper entitled "SoFA: A Spark-oriented Fog Architecture" has been accepted at IECON'19.
- Paper entitled "Evaluating a remote health monitoring applicatio powered by Bluetooth" has been accepted at the 11th International Conference on e-Health (e-Health 2019).
- Paper entitled "A Quantum-Annealing-Based Approach to Optimize the Deployment Cost of a Multi-Sink Multi-Controller WSN" has been accepted at the 16th International Conference on Mobile Systems and Pervasive Computing (MibiSPC'19).
- Paper entitled "A Proposal Towards Software-Defined Managementof Heterogeneous Virtualized Industrial Networks" has been accepted at the IEEE International Conference on Industrial Informatics, (INDIN’19).
- Paper entitled "A Budget-Constrained Placement of Controller Nodes for Maximizing the Network Performance in SDN-Enabled WSNs" has been accepted at 5th International Conference on Communication, Management and Information Technology (ICCMIT'19).
- Giving a PhD course on "IoT and Fog Computing" at MDH [link]
- Open PhD position in Computer Science-IoT Connectivity Beyond 5G Wireless Systems [link] --> Shunmuga priyan Selvaraju (KTH Royal Institute of Technology) has been admitted.
- Open PhD position in Computer Science-Mobility Management in Fog-assisted IoT Networks [link] --> Iliar Rabet (University of Tehran) has been admitted.
- Celtic+ application on Health5G has been granted.
- Prospekt KKS grant approved. The Prospekt individual grant runs for two years with the total budget of 3.3 MSEK.
- VR starting grant approved. The total buget of VR individual grant is 3.6 MSEK and project runs for four years.
- Guest editor of "Wireless Networks for Real Time Communication" in open access MDPI Sensors journal with impact factor 2.475. Deadline for submission is 6 June 2019.
- External examiner of a Master thesis in University of Pretoria, entitled "Personalized fall detection monitoring system based on user movements", April 26, 2018.
- Paper entitled "An Efficient Placement of Sinks and SDN Controller Nodes for Optimizing the Design Cost of Industrial IoT Systems" has been accepted for publication at the wiley journal of software: Practice and Experience (impact factor=1.609)
- Obtained one-year free membership award at Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- Attending the eHealth Match 2018 in Gothenburg, 24-25 April.
- Acknowledged by the Journal of Sensor and Actuator Networks Editorial Office (MDPI JSAN).
- Will have a talk on "Reliable communication for remote monitoring using embedded sensor systems" at the special issue of "Embedded Sensor Systems for Health – health technology applications at home and at work” at the World Congress on Medical Physics & Biomedical Engineering (IUPESM 2018).
- Co-organizer of an special track on "Sensors, Communication and Reasoning for Remote Health Monitoring" at the IEEE CAMA 2018 in Västerås.
- Brief presentation on "mRPL+: a mobility management framework in RPL/6LoWPAN" at RTAS 2018.
- TPC member of RTCSA 2018.
- TPC member of COMPSAC 2018.
- Paper entitled "A Heterogeneous IoT-based Architecture for Remote Monitoring of Physiological and Environmental Parameters" has been accepted at the HealthyIoT 2017 conference.
- Paper entitle "A Cost Efficient Design of a Multi-Sink Multi-Controller WSN in a Smart Factory" has been accepted at the HPCC 2017 conference.
- General co-chair of 1st International IEEE Workshop on Time Critical Cyber Physical Systems (TC-CPS 2018) in conjunction with IEEE WCNC 2018 conference. CFP available here.
- TPC member of IOTBDS 2018.
- Paper entitled "Optimizing RPL Objective Function for Mobile Low-Power Wireless Networks" has been accepted at the eIoT workshop in conjuction with the COMPSAC conference.
- TPC member of Networks on Chip 2017.
- Lecture on the "IoT and sensor networks" in the "Sensor Technology" course (CEL401) at MDH [pdf]
- Paper entitled "Data Flow and Collection for Remote Patients Monitoring: From Wireless Sensors through a Relational Database to a Web interface in Real Time" has been accepted at the EMBEC 2017 conference.
- Available Master thesis on "Radio resource management in 5G".
- Available Bachelor thesis on "Reducing power consumption in Bluetooth radio".
- Paper entitled "mRPL+: a mobility management framework in RPL/6LoWPAN" has been accepted at the Elsevier Journal on Computer Communications --COMCOM-- (Impact Factor: 2.898).
- Program committee member of medicinteknikdagarna 2017 (MTD 2017), the most famous national Swedish conference on biomedical engineering.
- Program committee member of RTCSA 2017 at IoT, CPS, and Emerging Applications Track.
- Program committee member of COMPSAC 2017 at NCIW: Networks, Communications, Internet & Web Technologies.
- Rickard Isaksson (Bachelor student at Mälardalen University). Thesis title: Firepower, Next Generation Firewall from Cisco. (supervisor)
- Therese Hedström and Sara Lundahl (Bachelor student at Mälardalen University). Thesis title: Evaluation of monitoring systems and processes. (supervisor)
- Simon Persson and Andreas Malmgren (Bachelor student at Mälardalen University). Thesis title: A comparative study of Palo Alto Networks and Juniper Networks next-generation firewalls for a small enterprise network. (supervisor)
- Niklas Sjöberg (Bachelor student at Mälardalen University). Thesis title: Reliability comparison of wireless protocols IEEE 802.15.1 and IEEE 802.15.4. (supervisor)
- Ifeoma Helen Urama (Master student at Mälardalen University). Thesis title: Optimizing RPL objective function for mobile low-power wireless networks. (supervisor)
- David Torstensson (Bachelor student at Mälardalen University). Thesis title: Indoor Positioning System Using Bluetooth Beacon Technology. (supervisor)
- Meriam Thamri (Master student at Higher School of Communication of Tunis, Sup’Com, Tunisia). Thesis title: Evaluation of smart-HOP: a hand-off approach for mobile wireless sensor networks. (co-supervisor)
- Daniel Moreira (Master student at Polytechnic Institute of Porto, Portugal). Thesis title: Fast mobility support in low-power wireless networks: smart- HOP over RPL/6LoWPAN. (supervisor)
His research interests are Wireless Networks, Sensor Networks, Mobile Computing, Fog Computing, Internet of Things, software defined networking, and software defined mobile nerworks.
He was involved in many projects, such as (1) CONET European project (cluster of COTS for QoS in cooperating objects), (2) MASQOTS FCT project, (3) EMMON European project, (4) ESS-H research profile, (5) ecare@home, (6) READY. He is currently involved in the projects: (1) MobiFog, (2) FlexiHealth, (3) Health5G, and (3) FiC.
He has been serving as a reviewer in several top-notch conferences (e.g. EWSN, PWSN, RTSS, ICCPS, OPODIS, LCN, WFCS, ETFA, SIES, IOTBDS) and journals (e.g. ACM TOSN, IEEE TMC, IEEE TII, IEEE sensors, Elsevier Ad-Hoc networks, Elsevier JNCA, Elsevier PMC, Springer journal of heuristics, Springer journal on wireless networks, MDPI Sensors).
He published papers in EWSN (acceptance rate=19%), IEEE Healthcom, IEEE COMPSAC (acceptance rate=18%), IEEE WFCS, IEEE ETFA, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing (IF=3.822), Elsevier Ad-hoc Networks (IF=3.178), and Elsevier Computer Communications (IF=2.898).
[Show all publications]
[Google Scholar author page] Latest publications:
SoFA: A Spark-oriented Fog Architecture
(Oct 2019) Neda Maleki , Mohammad Loni, Masoud Daneshtalab, Mauro Conti , Hossein Fotouhi IEEE 45th Annual Conference of the Industrial Electronics Society (IECON'19)
A Quantum-Annealing-Based Approach to Optimize the Deployment Cost of a Multi-Sink Multi-Controller WSN
(Aug 2019) Reinhard Gotzein
, Nayereh Rasouli
, Shirin Tahmasebi
, Somayeh Zolfid
, Hamid Reza Faragardi, Hossein Fotouhi The 16th International Conference on Mobile Systems and Pervasive Computing (MobiSPC)
A Proposal Towards Software-Defined Management of Heterogeneous Virtualized Industrial Networks
(Jul 2019) Luca Leonardi
, Mohammad Ashjaei, Hossein Fotouhi, Lucia Lo Bello IEEE International Conference on Industrial Informatics (INDIN'19)
Evaluating a Remote Health Monitoring Application Powered by Bluetooth
(Jul 2019) Maryam Vahabi, Hossein Fotouhi, Mats Björkman, Maria Lindén 11th International Conference on e-Health (e-Health'19)
FIREWORK: Fog orchestration for secure IoT networks
(Apr 2019) Maryam Vahabi, Hossein Fotouhi, Mats Björkman International Conference on Security and Privacy in New Computing Environments (SPNCE'19)
A Budget-Constrained Placement of Controller Nodes for Maximizing the Network Performance in SDN-Enabled WSNs
(Mar 2019) Seyedeh Kosar Mousavi
, Saber Fazliahmadi
, Nayereh Rasouli
, Hamid Reza Faragardi, Hossein Fotouhi, Thomas Fahringer 5th International Conference on Communication, Management and Information Technology (ICCMIT'19)