He completed his PhD in Electrical and Computer Engineering at University of Porto, Portugal. His PhD Thesis was on "Reliable Mobility Support in Low-Power Wireless Networks" under supervision of Prof. Mário Alves. Hossein was researcher at CISTER/INESC-TEC during his PhD. He received his Master degree on Communication Network Engineering from University Putra Malaysia. The Master Thesis was on "An Energy Efficient MAC Layer Design for Wireless Sensor Networks". He also worked three years in industry as a network engineer after finishing Bachelor degree on Electrical and Electronics Engineering from University of Guilan in Iran.
He was involved in many projects, such as (i) CONET European project (cluster of COTS for QoS in cooperating objects), (ii) MASQOTS FCT project, and (iii) EMMON European project. He is currently involved in four projects, which are (i) ESS-H research profile, (ii) ecare@home, (iii) READY, and (iv) FiC.
He has been serving as a reviewer in several top-notch conferences (e.g. EWSN, PWSN, RTSS, ICCPS, OPODIS, LCN, WFCS, ETFA, SIES, IOTBDS) and journals (e.g. ACM TOSN, IEEE TMC, IEEE TII, IEEE sensors, Elsevier Ad-Hoc networks, Elsevier JNCA, Elsevier PMC, Springer journal of heuristics, Springer journal on wireless networks, MDPI Sensors).
He published papers in EWSN (acceptance rate=19%), IEEE Healthcom, IEEE COMPSAC (acceptance rate=18%), IEEE WFCS, IEEE ETFA, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing (IF=3.822), Elsevier Ad-hoc Networks (IF=3.178), and Elsevier Computer Communications (IF=2.898).
- Program committee (selected list): WFCS 2016, ETFA 2016, IOTBD 2016, IOTDB 2017, IOTDB 2018, IOTDB 2019, MobiApps 2016, DPNoC 2016, SNCNW 2016, COMPSAC 2017, COMPSAC 2018, COMPSAC 2019, RTCSA 2017, RTCSA 2018.
- Session chair: HealthyIoT 2015 and SCNNW Workshop 2016.
- Local chair: HealthyIoT 2016.
- Publicity chair: HealthyIoT 2016.
- Session chair: COMPSAC 2017 and HealthyIoT 2017.
- Co-chair at TC-CPS 2018.
- Special session co-chair: CAMA 2018.
- External examiner of a Master thesis in University of Pretoria, entitled "Personalized fall detection monitoring system based on user movements", April 26, 2018.
- Paper entitled "An Efficient Placement of Sinks and SDN Controller Nodes for Optimizing the Design Cost of Industrial IoT Systems" has been accepted for publication at the wiley journal of software: Practice and Experience (impact factor=1.609)
- Obtained one-year free membership award at Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- Attending the eHealth Match 2018 in Gothenburg, 24-25 April.
- Acknowledged by the Journal of Sensor and Actuator Networks Editorial Office (MDPI JSAN).
- Will have a talk on "Reliable communication for remote monitoring using embedded sensor systems" at the special issue of "Embedded Sensor Systems for Health – health technology applications at home and at work” at the World Congress on Medical Physics & Biomedical Engineering (IUPESM 2018).
- Co-organizer of an special track on "Sensors, Communication and Reasoning for Remote Health Monitoring" at the IEEE CAMA 2018 in Västerås.
- Brief presentation on "mRPL+: a mobility management framework in RPL/6LoWPAN" at RTAS 2018.
- TPC member of RTCSA 2018.
- TPC member of COMPSAC 2018.
- Paper entitled "A Heterogeneous IoT-based Architecture for Remote Monitoring of Physiological and Environmental Parameters" has been accepted at the HealthyIoT 2017 conference.
- Paper entitle "A Cost Efficient Design of a Multi-Sink Multi-Controller WSN in a Smart Factory" has been accepted at the HPCC 2017 conference.
- General co-chair of 1st International IEEE Workshop on Time Critical Cyber Physical Systems (TC-CPS 2018) in conjunction with IEEE WCNC 2018 conference. CFP available here.
- TPC member of IOTBDS 2018.
- Paper entitled "Optimizing RPL Objective Function for Mobile Low-Power Wireless Networks" has been accepted at the eIoT workshop in conjuction with the COMPSAC conference.
- TPC member of Networks on Chip 2017.
- Lecture on the "IoT and sensor networks" in the "Sensor Technology" course (CEL401) at MDH [pdf]
- Paper entitled "Data Flow and Collection for Remote Patients Monitoring: From Wireless Sensors through a Relational Database to a Web interface in Real Time" has been accepted at the EMBEC 2017 conference.
- Available Master thesis on "Radio resource management in 5G".
- Available Bachelor thesis on "Reducing power consumption in Bluetooth radio".
- Paper entitled "mRPL+: a mobility management framework in RPL/6LoWPAN" has been accepted at the Elsevier Journal on Computer Communications --COMCOM-- (Impact Factor: 2.898).
- Program committee member of medicinteknikdagarna 2017 (MTD 2017), the most famous national Swedish conference on biomedical engineering.
- Program committee member of RTCSA 2017 at IoT, CPS, and Emerging Applications Track.
- Program committee member of COMPSAC 2017 at NCIW: Networks, Communications, Internet & Web Technologies.
- Rickard Isaksson (Bachelor student at Mälardalen University). Thesis title: Firepower, Next Generation Firewall from Cisco. (supervisor)
- Therese Hedström and Sara Lundahl (Bachelor student at Mälardalen University). Thesis title: Evaluation of monitoring systems and processes. (supervisor)
- Simon Persson and Andreas Malmgren (Bachelor student at Mälardalen University). Thesis title: A comparative study of Palo Alto Networks and Juniper Networks next-generation firewalls for a small enterprise network. (supervisor)
- Niklas Sjöberg (Bachelor student at Mälardalen University). Thesis title: Reliability comparison of wireless protocols IEEE 802.15.1 and IEEE 802.15.4. (supervisor)
- Ifeoma Helen Urama (Master student at Mälardalen University). Thesis title: Optimizing RPL objective function for mobile low-power wireless networks. (supervisor)
- David Torstensson (Bachelor student at Mälardalen University). Thesis title: Indoor Positioning System Using Bluetooth Beacon Technology. (supervisor)
- Meriam Thamri (Master student at Higher School of Communication of Tunis, Sup’Com, Tunisia). Thesis title: Evaluation of smart-HOP: a hand-off approach for mobile wireless sensor networks. (co-supervisor)
- Daniel Moreira (Master student at Polytechnic Institute of Porto, Portugal). Thesis title: Fast mobility support in low-power wireless networks: smart- HOP over RPL/6LoWPAN. (supervisor)
External Master and PhD students are welcome to perform their internship within the scope of aforementioned projects at MDH. In general, my preferred research topics are within the context of wireless communication and software defined mobile networking.
His research interests are Wireless Networks, Sensor Networks, Mobile Computing, Fog Computing, Internet of Things, software defined networking, and software defined mobile nerworks.
[Show all publications]
[Google Scholar author page] Latest publications:
An efficient placement of sinks and SDN controller nodes for optimizing the design cost of industrial IoT systems
(Jun 2018) Hamid Reza Faragardi, Maryam Vahabi, Hossein Fotouhi, Thomas Nolte, Thomas Fahringer Special Issue Meta-heuristics in Cloud Computing (SPE)
An analytical model for deploying mobile sinks in industrial Internet of Things
(Jun 2018) Maryam Vahabi, Hamid Reza Faragardi, Hossein Fotouhi IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC'18)
A Cost Efficient Design of a Multi-Sink Multi-Controller WSN in a Smart Factory
(Dec 2017) Hamid Reza Faragardi, Hossein Fotouhi, Thomas Nolte, Rahim Rahmani The 19th IEEE International Conference on Hight Performance and Communications (HPCC'17)
Survey on Data Security and Privacy in Wireless Sensor Systems for Health
(Nov 2017) Aida Causevic, Hossein Fotouhi, Kristina Lundqvist Security and Privacy in Cyber-Physical Systems: Foundations, Principles and Applications (Wiley)
Run-Time Assurance for the E-care@home System
(Nov 2017) Mobyen Uddin Ahmed, Hossein Fotouhi, Uwe Köckemann
, Maria Lindén, Ivan Tomasic, Nicolas Tsiftes
, Thiemo Voigt 4th EAI International Conference on IoT Technologies for HealthCare (HealthyIoT'17)
A Heterogeneous IoT-based Architecture for Remote Monitoring of Physiological and Environmental Parameters
(Oct 2017) Gordana Garsašević
, Hossein Fotouhi, Ivan Tomasic, Maryam Vahabi, Mats Björkman, Maria Lindén 4th EAI International Conference on IoT Technologies for HealthCare (HealthyIoT'17)